Friday, April 26, 2013

Bead Soup Blog Party Reveal

Hello, fellow beaders!
I am so excited to be a part of Lori Anderson's Bead Soup Blog Party again.  This is my fourth BSBP and, for many reasons, I think this may have been one of my favorites.

One of the best reasons was my partner, the lovely and talented Michelle Escano of The Cabby Crafter Blog. I loved the soup she sent me!  (I have to share something terrible- my husband deleted ALL of the photos I had on our old hard drive when he was transferring the data to our new computer.  I had more than 100 photos of my work plus some lovely jewelry inspiration photos.  He was so angry at himself that I couldn't even get very angry at him.  I am in the process of recovering the photos I had uploaded to my blog, but most of them are just gone.)  The photo I had of Michelle's soup was terrible and the picture she took was a hundred times better than mine, so her picture is the one I'm sharing with you.

Michelle's picture of the soup she sent me
Thank you, Michelle!

I was dazzled by this lovely soup- Green is my absolute favorite color: however, I normally work with cool greens.  Which meant I got to work out of my color comfort zone, with just enough of my favorite to be passionate about the results.

I was excited about the pendant and I had an idea, but I was so scared!  I didn't want to mess up the wire and have to figure out how to fix it...  So I decided to save it for last.

Instead, I started with some fun and easy earrings.  I chose the two big black beads in the upper left corner, because I immediately saw large and swingy lantern-style earrings.  I used four different kinds of chain, copper wire, and green beads.  Then I set out to have fun.

"My Paper Lantern" earrings

They are cheerful and I'm pleased with them.  My sister, Beth laughed when I put them on because I generally wear dainty earrings, but she still thought they had a fun modern-tribal vibe.

Next, I separated out the warm and cool tones in Michelle's soup so that I could focus on the earthy warm tones for my necklace.   When I had them in their little cool/warm piles I discovered that the 'cool tones' beads wanted to be a bracelet.  I mostly tell the beads what I want them to do, but this time they were determined to do their own thing.  So I cooperated.

"Caribbean Beaches" bracelet

I already had some handmade aqua glass beads which mixed nicely with the 'cool tones' pile of beads.  I braided five strands of beads and added a starfish charm.  I love the heavy, chunky feel of this piece- rather different than my normal delicate wire-work.

I wish I had lovely slender arms and hands to show my jewelry to the best effect! Oh, well. =)

After working with the bracelet, I felt brave enough to start in on the necklace.  What I loved most about Michelle's amazing focal was the texture.  The cool mica shift effect and the rich deep colors.  When I looked at it I thought of rain-forests and trees.  I wanted to give the impression of a jungle with vines and movement.  The first thing I did was lay out all the pieces I wanted to string and then I brainstormed the best way to put it all together.  I ended up deciding to create a rosary style chain to keep the focus on the lovely pendant.  
"Gecko Forest" necklace

After laying all the pieces out, I realized I wanted something more specific to point to the life and activity of a jungle.  So I wire-wrapped a wood back to the pendant and added a little gecko on a chain to the front.  (Here's another reason that Michelle is so cool: I NEVER would have thought of just leaving the wire poking out of the top of the pendant.  She placed the wire but didn't wrap it, which allowed me to create the exact bail I needed, instead of having to work with a pre-made one.  Very cool and a special touch I appreciated so much!) 

"Gecko Forest" pendant

After creating the entire necklace I was happy with it, but I wanted just a little more texture, a little more attention drawn to the pendant.  My sister advised that I try a bit of chain, and I loved her idea.  I fought and fought with the chain to get the right balance, and I am pleased with the result.  The chain adds a vine texture and points to the pendant.  Exactly what I wanted.

"Gecko Forest" necklace in action.

After completing the necklace, I still had a week left until the new reveal date.  And I had a bunch of left-over beads.  So I made another bracelet! 

"Earth Shake" bracelet

I used the fun orange & green glass beads from the soup, and paired them with the chain of copper discs.  But the bracelet just didn't feel complete.  So I added the creamy braided ribbon to add even more texture.  The bracelet has a lovely gentle jingling sound and smooth soft feel when worn.  Beth said this one had a 'Bohemian, East-Indian, Bali' vibe.  It was a delight to make and kind of seemed to create itself.

 "Earth Shake" bracelet in action

I still have beads left, and I still have some ideas, too.  I expect to share anything else I create from Michelle's lovely soup.

Thank you, Michelle!  I loved your soup!  To see what I sent her, and what she made, go HERE.

Thank you, Lori!  You are an amazing lady, and my favorite internet friend.  Thank you for your effort and time.

So many more bead soup designers!  Don't miss out.  For the entire list of Bead Soup Blog Party goodness, go HERE.

31 comments:

The Cabby Crafter said...

Hey sister! Oh.. you surprised me! I love all that you made! I like that you provided a backing for the pendant and added a gecko.., nice! I also love the blue bracelet - very pretty. The lantern earrings are gorgeous!
And the last bracelet was adorable. I could just imagine the faint sound of the copper blanks against each other.
It was so nice to meet you. Here's to a lifetime of friendship and beading.
God bless you!

Nelly May said...

what magnificent pieces you've created! Gecko's Gully is just stunning but I think Earth Shaker is my favourite.

LoriF said...

Gorgeous pieces! That Caribbean bracelet, and your focal necklace in particular are just wonderful. Great job!

roomforchange said...

Your Gecko Forrest necklace is fantastic. I loved what you did with your focal! The other creations are lovely too.

Monique (A Half-Baked Notion) said...

I love them all, Becca, but the bracelet with the sweet ribbon speaks to my heart!

Unknown said...

Love the gecchonecklace!
kathy

Anonymous said...

love the gecko necklace and the textures in both bracelets are gorgeous

Shalini said...

Love the Gecko necklace! Very creative.

moonsafari said...

Gorgeous bead soup and you rocked it! The Gecko necklace is my absolure favorite with all those different beads, it looks so bohemian!

Kaybree said...

The gecko necklace is just fantastic! I really like the extra chain you added to it; it completes the look so perfectly. :)

Unknown said...

The earth shake bracelet is sweet! I also love the layered lizard pendant.....great designs!

ACBeads said...

I love all designs. My favourite are the gecko necklace (I've just learned a new word in English) and the three strand bracelet.

Shai Williams said...

I just love the Gecko necklace! Those chains really made the piece.

Clayworks by Lisa Boucher said...

Super job with your soup! The necklace with the gecko came out awesome and the earth shake bracelet is so cute! Nice work.

JuLee said...

Love the addition of the little gecko to the pendant. Just the right touch.

PiPa said...

Everything is beautiful but "Gecko Forest" necklace is just amazing! The mixture of different beads, all suited the theme nicely. And the focal is gorgeous

Othel said...

The bracelet is my favorite, and the sweet little gecko adds fun to your necklace. Beading should not be too serious!

Just Beads said...

The gecko necklace is very funny. I love it!

Cassi said...

Great designs! I love the way you accented the focal, and that last bracelet is very cool.

Kepi said...

Very beautiful, the necklace with the gecko is adorable.

becca said...

You all are so sweet! Thank you for checking out my blog. =)

adlinah said...

You did such a great job with your soup. I love the Gecko Forest necklace. The chain absolutely complements your original design. And I really like the stacked nature and varied textures of your 2 bracelets.

Unknown said...

Wow! What a wonderful soup to play with. Love all your pieces but that ribbon bracelet is the one that really caught my eye.

la mar de bonita said...

Nice cooking, Rebecca! Beautiful creations, my dear. My personal favourite is the "Earth Shake" bracelet - love it's colours and the design. I can hear it jingle up to here :0)

Terri said...

Hey Becca, hope you had fun with the hop. You soup turned out Soup-er! Loving the necklace!!!

Eclectically Vintage said...

Gorgeous beads and creations! My daughter loves beading - I will show her your stunning pieces!
Kelly

Anonymous said...

Great job!!! Love them all. The blue bracelet is beautiful, but I really love the Gecko necklace.

Unknown said...

Nice pieces! My favorites are the Gecko and Earth shake!

Becky Pancake said...

Becca all of your designs are great. My favorite is the Carribean Beaches, it's just my color. Your pendant in Gecko Forest is very creative.Good job using your soup.

Christine said...

Great pieces!! I love your Earth Shake bracelet!

CraftyHope said...

Ooooh, you made some awesome pieces. I love the way your necklace with the focal lays against your neck. The gentle swoop of the chain is very cool. And that extra bracelet at the end is just great. I like the neutral-ness of it and all the texture. Excellent job!