Thursday, July 12, 2012

My New Best Friend

(My foot on the night we went to Urgent Care)

So...  About 5 weeks ago, I was limping around on my left foot.  It hurt, and I couldn't figure out what I'd done.  My husband drove me to the Urgent Care downtown (since I refused the ER), and a doctor looked at it, took x-rays and pronounced me fit with a mild bruise.


But the stupid thing kept HURTING.  And making life very difficult.  I went to my doctor, who sent me to a podiatrist last week.  And I've got a stress fracture up high on the smallest toe.  Right where the number 5 is in this diagram of the foot from Web MD:



  And now I've got one of these, my new best friend:
And I hate it.  It's heavy, and it hurts, and it makes the toes on my left foot go numb after I've worn it for an hour.  But I think the bone is healing.  It's supposed to keep me from putting pressure on the bone while I'm walking.

The ridiculous thing is that it's summer.  In Alaska.  The ONLY months I like to do stuff outside up here (like garden, go hiking, take walks, ride my bike, go camping...), and I'm stuck in this stupid boot waiting for my toe to heal.  I'll probably be stuck in the boot right up until the snow starts falling in October.  Ha!  Okay.  I'm not really that pessimistic about it, but it is frustrating that I didn't wait to do whatever I did when I want to stay inside and sit on my tuckus all day.

And I'm still not sure what I did to my poor foot.  That was the week I was teaching VBS and running around like a headless chicken with little 4 & 5 year olds trailing behind me like ducklings...  I was climbing up some ladders, and moving tables around.  And I took my shoes off, which I know better than to do...  So that's probably what did it.  Either that or I'm just getting old!

No comments: